8th October

We’ve been resting and waiting at basecamp for the last 4 days, looking for a possible weather window to make our summit bit. It looks like it is finally arriving. Right now we’re banking on a summit attempt on the 12th of October. We’ll actually be leaving basecamp in the very early hours of the 9th of October to do up to camp 1 to drink some warm fluids and eat before continuing up to camp 2 where all of our equipment is stashed. It should take us between 7-8 hours in total with lite packs.

By far the best summit window of the season was between the 3rd and 5th of October but Ben and I were still acclimatizing (as were a number of other groups) and could take advantage of the fine , calm weather. It also meant that we missed the long lines of people on the fixed lines and the hordes on the summit, over two days we think that over 100 people summited. Himex alone put more than 40 people on the summit (including sherpa’s)

So now there will be about 3-4 groups on the hill overt the next few days, with a total of about 20 people trying to make a summit bid. Some groups have opted for an early window, not choosing to believe the wind forecast and choosing instead to trade of totally clear skies for low temperatures and wind chill. we’re planning on the lowest wind day to hopefully allow me to make a summit flight with my speed wing. Right now I’m estimating my chances of even thinking of making a flight attempt at about 50% due to the wind.

We’ll just have to wait and see if the forecast is is better than expected. If I can’t fly from the summit I expect to mask an attempt from around 7500m or just below main summit ridge line at about 7200m where I should be protected from the prevailing winds.

Sophie will keep the blog updated over the coming days and if the wind seems to drop a bit later on we’ll delay our summit attempt in favor of lower wind levels.

CIAO

Mal

There's something to be said about standing on the top of a narrow chute with a gentle breeze – and getting ready to jump down it!  The Remarkables have a number of great terrain runs.

The main objective around the Remarks will be to fly from the summit of single cone – but today the wind was slightly (180 degrees) coming from the wrong direction and Dugald couldn't come out to play – so it's still needing to be put in the bag….. 

This short video shows just how little lift I'm getting from the new canopy and how much speed can be generated.   We expect that these speeds will be similar to our landing speeds above 5500m.  A snow landing is pretty easy but a foot landing – well, we'll have to practice that one.

Enjoy!

This post is password protected. To view it please enter your password below:

A mid Autumn flight from the top of Single Cone.

May 1st to May 9th

Open to all Speedflying Pilots

This time of year can be pretty tricky.  There maybe a fair amount of new snow up on single double cone or there may still just be bare rock!  There are a few ways up Single Cone, all involve a little bit of technical rock climbing but the route of choice is to do a traverse of both Double and Single cone!  We'll be focusing on flying from Single Cone initially but if weather and local conditions deny us we may need to move lower on the hill. 

We have two flight options – to the west all the way down to the valley floor – a descent of near 2000m or to the N and into the Lake Alta region.

The Remarks after a mid summer snow storm.  looks like winter!

How the Remarks looks normally in Summer

Here are two video's that show 2 different launches in the Khumbu Valley region of Nepal.

#1 is of a launch in the Kyajo Ri Valley.  The intent on being in this area was to try and make a flight from the summit of Kyajo Ri – unfortunately the weather was too bad making the approach to the hill difficult and we ran out of time.  There were a series of large cliffs on the way up the valley that you had to climb through and this flight was made from one of them – just above Basecamp.

 

#2 is a flight from above the township of Dingboche – off a small peak aptly named – Dinboche Ri.  The peak provides a number of excellent launch site – although the thinner air at 5000+ meters and nil wind makes for a very committing and fast launch!  The landing area here is basically potato paddocks and with the rock walls coming up at you quite quickly it's very important to pick the right one.  I found myself coming in a bit too short and had to almost stall my wing over the final wall to land safely in the paddock

 

#1

 

#2